Sunday, November 30, 2008

Blues and Burnt Orange

I'm not having a great weekend.

As I write, I am sitting in the coldest building on the planet, the Brownwood Coliseum. That's Brownwood, Texas, where ETBU plays basketball Monday. I am currently sitting and watching our women's team practice, and I'm running out of things to do to pass the time. Plus, my fingers are literally going to fall off from frostbite -- this is a dump of a building, affectionately known to the locals as the "Brownwood Mausoleum" -- and apparently doesn't have a working heating system.

I am also fighting a weak cold at the moment. Sinuses are a constant problem for me and when I get a cold you might as well have given me flu pills. I hate colds; just break my arm or leg and let me deal with that instead.

I also haven't seen my family in three days now, and I'm having withdrawals. Abby has gotten on the phone three times this weekend and said "hi dadda" and "i uv u" and all I can do is listen. I miss my wife and children terribly and won't see them again until Tuesday morning, maybe. Supposed to get back home early Tuesday morning, so I don't know when our paths will actually cross.

I'm hungry. I'm cold. I'm lonely, and I'm sick. And, on top of it all -- my Longhorns got royally dumped on today. There are billions of dollars spent every year on big-time college football and the best way anyone can come up with to crown a national champion is to go by what a few computers say.

Forget head-to-head matchups. 45-35 doesn't mean a hill of beans. So why make such a big deal of the Red River Shootout between Texas and OU anymore? Makes no sense in a million years.

I hope everyone in Sooner Nation goes around wearing ski masks now, because they are nothing but a bunch of thieves who just flat-out stole something from the 'Horns.

Oh well, enough of ranting. Practice is wrapping up and it's time for dinner -- at least I can fill my tummy and take care of that!!!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

your wife mentioned this morning that she misses you terribly...

I'll say a little prayer for you tonight! Hope you can somehow enjoy the next day or 2 until you see them again.

Anonymous said...

Stu's just as depressed as you are about the Longhorn thing! You should have heard him watching the OU/OSU game Saturday screaming at the tv that OU only needed to win by a field goal:) Lord, help him, he's nuts! Hang in there with the fam thing, it's almost Tuesday! I know they miss you, too!! Abby looked like one of the little girls on "The Grinch" movie last night...she had a little bitty pony tail sticking right out the top of her head!!!! Coby was a Bible trivia genius on several of the questions we asked in our game in SS yesterday morning. The only time I really saw Mel was when she grabbed me by the stomach so she could talk to the baby:) Your mom got on to me for wearing sandals in 30-40 degree weather and of course Jeannie was beautiful and sang beautifully when she did her special for the 5th Sunday singing...how's that for an update:) Be safe coming back! Lauren