Monday, November 17, 2008

The Silent "Minority"

I received an interesting email last week forwarded to me from a friend I trust, so I am fairly certain it wasn't one of those hoax things. Besides, it sounds just too real considering the state of our nation these days.

Here is the text of the email:

Jim Neugent is a coach in Childress , Texas

Jim writes: My name is Jim Neugent. I wrote to ABC (on-line) concerning a program called 'THE PRACTICE.' In last nights episode, one of the lawyer's mothers decided she is gay and wanted her son to go to court and help her get a marriage license so she could marry her 'partner.' I sent the following letter to ABC yesterday and really did not expect a reply, but I did get one. My original message was: ABC is obsessed with the subject of homosexuality. I will no longer watch any of your attempts to convince the world that homosexuality is OK . 'THE PRACTICE' can be a fairly good show, but last night's program was so typical of your agenda. You picked the 'dufus' of the office to be the one who was against the idea of his mother being gay, and made him look like a whiner because he had convictions. This type of mentality calls people like me a 'gay basher..' Read the first chapter of Romans (that's in the Bible) and see what the apostle Paul had to say about it..... He, God and Jesus were all 'gay bashers'. What if she'd fallen in love with her cocker spaniel? Is that an alternative life style? (By the way, the Bible speaks against that, too.) --Jim Neugent
Here is ABC's reply from the ABC on-line webmaster: How about getting your nose out of the Bible (which is ONLY a book of stories compiled by MANY different writers hundreds of years ago) and read the declaration of independence (what our nation on is built on), where it says 'All Men are Created equal,' and try treating them that way for a change! Or better yet, try thinking for yourself and stop using an archaic book of story's as your lame crutch for your existence.. You are in the minority in this country, and your boycott will not affect us at ABC or our freedom of statement. Jim Neugent's second response to ABC: Thanks for your reply. From your harsh reply, evidently I hit a nerve. I will share it with all whom I come in contact. Hopefully, the Arkansas Democrat Newspaper will include it in one of their columns and I will be praying for you.

The same day I received the email, I was watching a TV show with my wife when a commerical for a daytime soap opera on ABC -- All My Children, to be exact -- promoted a storyline in which a scene of two young women locked in a passionate kiss showed up on the preview. It sickened me to no end. These were two beautiful young women, not the women-dressed-up-as-men types you associate with this kind of stuff.

The ABC reply says people like Jim Neugent -- aka Christian people -- are in a minority in the United States. I want to believe this unnamed person is terribly wrong on this point. However, I will agree that in a lot of instances we are in the "silent" minority, because we keep our mouths shut like good little church people and only speak out against such things within the privacy of our own homes or church buildings, maybe.

Or maybe we don't even do that. The most recent election is an indication of this. There are millions and millions of people who profess to follow Christ in this nation yet millions of them voted for the homosexual/abortion/atheist agenda earlier this month. How do I know that? Because I look at election returns. This election could not have played out in the fashion that it did without some believers voting for that agenda, in all areas of the country.

But I digress. The purpose of this blog entry is to serve notice that I, for one, will remain "silent" no longer. I detest homosexuality because God, in his archaic book of stories, calls it sin. Period. You can profess love and tolerance all you want, believer or not, and it's still called an abomination in the Bible.

The gay agenda is being pushed more radically and loudly now more than ever before in the history of our nation, and that's because they are emboldened by the results of the recent election. Results that say a lot of Christians voted for such an agenda! How sad and terrifying that is.

I am most terrified for my children. Jeannie and I have tried as hard as we possibly could over the years to insulate our children from this kind of thing, which I believe falls right into the enemy's hands. They will find out one way or the other, whether its from the world or from us as parents. I trust my ability to explain the sin versus the sinner part much more effectively, rather than the jaded opinion the current movement can give.

And I am incensed with the fact that network television feels the need and the purpose to blatantly promote such an agenda. I don't watch ABC much anyway, but I have watched my last minute of television on this network. I would urge anyone who might possibly read this to join me in this. We might be a "minority," but there are still a lot of us who can put pressure on this out-of-touch entity within our society.

It's a small shot, but one I'll fire anyway. And I'll continue to pray for our nation -- prayer is our biggest weapon anyway -- and that God won't totally turn His back on us because of the sin in our land running rampant because His followers, including myself, have had their heads buried in the sand.

No comments: