Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dunkball

For the last year or so I've become caught up in the national craze that is "dunkball."

Okay, maybe national is a bit of an exaggeration. The game isn't quite national yet; probably hasn't gotten much farther than the couple of courts I've played on. But all we need is a little publicity. So here it is.

"Dunkball" is derived, of course, from its much older cousin -- plain old basketball. The rules are the same, a.k.a. traveling, double-dribbling, etc. The only difference is that we play with a ball that is small enough to palm. And, we lower our adjustable goal to its lowest point, making it easier to, well, dunk.

The first dunkball game ever played at our house in the 'Ville took place yesterday afternoon. My good little buddy Jason from work has been actively involved with dunkball for quite some time, and he has become quite the promoter for the sport. Got me involved originally, and he's been begging me to play again for quite some time after I'd taken a bit of a hiatus from the sport the last few months.

But I got the whim yesterday to play again, so I invited him over after work. I enjoy playing against Jason for one reason -- I'm a foot taller than him, which is quite the advantage in basketball. He's got some pretty smooth moves on the court and actually might be a bit quicker than me, but I make up for it with dominating play around the rim -- which, of course, is below my elbow in dunkball.

Coby wanted to get his first dunkball action yesterday, so we played a game of 21 and bent the rules a bit to make it competitive for him. The rules applying for when a ball hits the rim were in force, meaning you have to take the ball back after a shot hits the rim of course. But we made it easier for Coby by saying he could just go back up with a layup if he got the rebound. After about five quick layups by my offspring, though, I began to dominate him around the rim as well.

Coby lasted one game and then decided he'd spectate. That made it mano 'a mano between Jason and I. I forgot to mention the point system in dunkball -- two points for a bucket, one for a free throw, and three for a dunk. It's a little tougher to dunk one-on-one, simply because you got one defender standing in the lane the entire time. Plus my height advantage on my opponent yesterday made him sag back like a wilted flower, defending the paint at all costs.

That's when I go to my post up game. Back him down to "my" area around the block, and then it's literally like taking candy from a baby. I got the dream shake, the fadeaway, the up and under, or just a straight up in your face jumper. He can't defend it. Then go make some free throws and pour it on.

The little cheap elbows to the kidneys can't faze me. The trash talking is just funny, doesn't affect my game one bit. Let me get to my paint, and it's game over. And the best part about all that is, he knows it's over. Game, set, match.

I did allow him to play an extra game and leave with at least one win, just to ensure that he might want to come back and play again. Now he's talking smack today at the office about beating me that one time, so the rematch will happen. That I am quite sure of.

Dunkball. Catch the fever.

1 comment:

CDJ said...

I lost your link....I googled "the 'ville" and got some crazy stuff. Luckily, I found ya and I'm all caught up. The red fern post made me REAL sad (and I don't even like dogs). The ham string post made me crack up...why does your pain bring me such joy?? But we're gonna need that "Ode to Jeannie" REAL soon. K?