Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sidewalk Cafe'

An old friend updated his Facebook status recently with the following:

It's hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk.

To which my smart-aleck reply was this:

Who wants to fry an egg on a sidewalk?

It has definitely been hot here in the 'Ville the last week or so, no getting around that. But the only way you'd catch yours truly frying an egg on concrete is if I'd lost a bet, and even then I wouldn't eat it.

If you're from around here you're used to it. People say you never really get used to 110-degree heat indexes but you do, over time. The key isn't beating the heat, because that indicates a fight or competition must take place. There is no beating the heat.

But there is out-smarting the heat, or coping with it. Air conditioning, swimming pool, water hoses, can make the heat demon cry out in frustration.

My daughter and I spent several hours this past weekend out in the suana, playing in her state softball tournament. The 10-under girls won the entire thing after being forced to win seven in a row over two days after a tough loss on Saturday morning. Five of those came on Sunday, with four of those being played between 12:30 and 8:30. The extreme heat of the day took its toll but we were able to come home with the championship.

All this to bring up this myth of "global warming." A lot of people have made a lot of money talking about the subject but I've got news for them -- where I'm from, it gets really hot in the summer. EVERY YEAR. You come live here, expect for the heat to be suffocating from about late May to mid-October. I've never been fortunate enough to endure a cool summer. Hasn't happened in 40 years and it never will in this neck of the woods.

I read in a newspaper recently where there's talk the sea level in certain areas of the world has risen eight inches over the last 50 years or so. Let's see...at that rate by gosh the world will flood by about the year 2250. If I'm still alive then I'll be cruising around the sky in my flying S.U.V. or something so I won't worry what the surface of the earth looks like.

Besides, I firmly hold to God's promise to Noah in Genesis when He said He would never again destroy the earth by flood. So if this global warming thing is causing a flood somewhere I'm pretty sure the earth will rebound.

Soaring temperatures mean one thing to me -- it's summertime. It's going to be hot. And dry. And yes, it will be miserable. But I'm not looking for this huge wall of water to come destroy us anytime soon.

And don't look for me to be cracking an egg in the driveway anytime soon, either.

No comments: