Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'd Like To Thank...

On top of the Longhorns' national title victory Monday night in the Fiesta Bowl (and yes, in my book, that was the official national championship game since the one being played in Miami tonight is an absolute farce), I got to witness a display of class, character and courage in the postgame celebration.

UT quarterback Colt McCoy, the rightful Heisman Trophy winner (don't get me started), accepted the MVP trophy of the Fiesta Bowl by first giving praise and credit to "his Lord and Saviour," Jesus. What an awesome statement and one that makes Colt, in my book, a national champion in every sense of the words.

But while enjoying Colt's acknowledgement for the source of his success, I was left to wonder the following -- would he have stood in front of a microphone and said the same things if the 'Horns - gasp - had lost?

Now that's not to say I doubt Colt McCoy's faith or his sincerity in any way. It's just that he's the latest athlete to stand up on a stage and give credit and glory to God for the blessings of a winning performance. By all accounts, Colt's a fantastic young man who, apparently, has been born again. That's awesome.

In fact, his nemesis, OU quarterback Sam Bradford, pretty much said the same things back in December when he stole the Heisman from Colt. I'm sure Bradford is a likeable guy and I don't doubt his sincerity either, but in mostly good-natured fun, I don't like the colors he wears. Nothing personal, but a stinkin', thievin' Sooner is still a stinkin', thievin' Sooner.

But I can't remember one time where an athlete, in any sport, stood before the world following a tough loss and gave credit to the Lord. The Bible says we are to praise Him in all things, and that of course includes winning and losing. True winners in any aspect of life understand that losses are a part of life. Read the Book of Job, or even Genesis, with Abraham, for that matter. Tough times build tough people.

I try not to doubt anyone who stands before a TV camera and displays faith. Not for me to judge. Terrell Owens does it all the time, and I still believe it's genuine despite everything else that surrounds that particular athlete.

But we must remember, all of us, that we should continue to be thankful and give praise following the losses. Not just the wins. It's extremely difficult to do, but I find myself failing nearly 100 percent of the time in that regard.

Praise him following the wins and the blessings, for sure. But also remember, the God of the mountain is also the God in the valley, and we should give thanks for the adversity that comes from losing something -- whether its just a game or not.

No comments: