Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Soaring Above The Clouds

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Whew! It's been a busy couple of weeks in and around the 'Ville. It's put a serious chink in my blogging time, too.

But I'm catching my breath, slowly and surely, as is the family. I had a great weekend. It always is a great weekend when the NFL kicks back up. It's even better when the Cowboys win on opening day. Can't get much better than that.

But this one was more special because I got to spend some time with Ronnie and Erin up in Minnesota. We were playing a football game up there against St. John's, which is about 90 minutes or so from Ronnie and Erin's place in Prior Lake, outside Minneapolis. I spent a couple of nights with them and wished I could have had more. We miss you guys.

The thing about the trip was, of course, the plane. I will never ever be a comfortable air traveler because I just don't do it much. The toughest thing for me personally is going through security. Glad those guys are there, because if they weren't I just wouldn't get on a plane. That's the kind of world we live in. Security checkpoints at airport are a necessity, and like I said, I'm glad they are there.

That doesn't make me comfortable going through them, though.

But once you're on the plane, well, it's too late. Just sit back and enjoy. No use getting all uptight. Enjoy the exerience.

And I did. There's something beautiful and serene about being up there at 35,000 feet or so, soaring miles above the clouds. In a very strange way, it's as peaceful a thing as you could ever experience anywhere on solid ground.

God is up there, somewhere. It is up there in an airplane where you can truly feel something different. There's all kinds of hustle and bustle down here on earth, in our everyday lives. But up there, well, we are soaring around like eagles.

The view is always spectacular, whether it's a clear day or a thunderstorm. I've flown through those too. But to see God's sprawling creation, the world he has given us, from that vantage point -- His vantage point, I'd like to think -- well, it's just a neat thing.

We lost the game, but we got everything else out of the trip that we needed. The game was close, so we know we can compete against anybody we play. That creates optimism. There were no glitches in the airport at any time, and that's saying something when a football travel group of about 65 or so can make it through with no problems.

But for me, the most peaceful moments are up there in the air. And with some things going on right now, it was definitely what I needed. Thank you, God, for the peace.

1 comment:

CDJ said...

Great post. Glad you're back.