Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Tent Revival

For whatever reason I have this dream now of being an avid outdoorsman. Specifically, a tent camper.

I really don't have any kind of interest in guns, or fishing in particular. And God hasn't blessed me with the riches it takes to purchase one of those mansions on wheels that makes camping somewhat of a luxury cruise.

But I wanted to enjoy the outdoors and the fine, sultry East Texas weather in the summer while I have a chance. So I've been hinting rather loudly around the house for a few months about how great it would be to have a nice, big comfy tent to use whenever the camping itch needed a scratch.

Father's Day arrived, thankfully, last weekend, just a few days after the 39th birthday. There was no tent forthcoming for the birthday, so the only hope I had was Father's Day. So rather than risk being completely shut out, I happened to be in Wal-Mart last Friday and just happened to come upon a steal of a deal on a nice big, 7-person dome tent. That became my Father's Day gift -- which I had to purchase with my own cash. But needless to say I now have a tent.

Wanted to make sure I could still put one of those things together before I actually made it to a campsite, so I pulled it out of the box last night. Coby and Melody and I have planned our first overnight camping trip this weekend at a little state park in the area here, but they have been absolutely wearing me out about breaking the tent in in the backyard this week first.

By the way, Jeannie says she wants no part of camping or togetherness. If it ain't air-conditioned, she's willing to sit out. She has no spirit of adventure, at least not when it's 95 degrees in the shade. So she and Abby won't be joining us on our first family camping trip.

But back to last night. Bone and Kaylee wanted in on the fun too, so they came home with us last night. All four were going to enjoy the outdoors together in my brand new camping tent. After about an hour or so of trying to figure out just how that thing was supposed to become a shelter, I finally figured it out with no thanks to the instructions stapled to the inside of the bag. I think I could build a nuclear weapon from scratch now a lot easier than it was to decipher how to put that tent together. But at least now I won't have that frustration, hopefully, at the lake this weekend.

It was about 8 o'clock or so when the quartet of kids entered the tent. It was about 8:05 or so when they made there first foray back into the house. The patio door needs a good oiling down now, because at least one kid or more kept traipsing back and forth across the yard from the tent and slamming the door shut every time. Couldn't keep them out of the friggin' house!

"Dad, can we have some ice cream?" Sure.

"I need to go to the bathroom." By all means.

"I'm taking my TV out to the tent, it's boring out there?" What?

"Dad, how about we run the extension cord out there and hook up the Wii?" No, how about let's go camping and curl up in the sleeping bag. Now!

The first casualty of the group was Kaylee. In her defense she's also the youngest of the four, and all odds on the table were that she would be the first to go. She finally tapped out a little after 9 or so, admitting it was a little scary out there once the sun went down.

Jeannie and I gave knowing glances. Melody, who has actually been a little more excited than Coby about this weekend's inaugural trip, was going to be the next to give up on the backyard. To her credit, my oldest little girl didn't jump at the chance to join her cousin back in Coby's room. She made a couple of trips back to the house for varying reasons, but about the third time in she started the begging.

"Dad, it would be okay out there if you were with us. Can you come out and sleep with us? Please?" No. "Please." No. "Please." No, I have to work tomorrow. "Plllleeeeaasseee?"

I promised her I would at least come out and check on them in a few minutes. At least I think that's what I said... the Rangers and Braves were going at it on television and I can't be responsible for anything I might have said at the time.

I did manage to walk back out to the tent and join the remaining three for a few minutes. When I got out there, they were all three huddled around the flashlight. Bone was on his last legs, as it was way past his bedtime. Mel-Mel was just downright scared, and Coby -- well, if our lives were a Scooby Doo episode, he'd be Fred. The calm, cool leader. He was just a little bored, which was a little kink in his armor on this night.

I camped with them for about 10 minutes, and we all stretched out on sleeping bags and looked out at the moon through the huge back window. I tried to give them a boost of confidence, but every time I moved Mel-Mel pinched my arm tighter. It was then I knew she wasn't long for the adventure.

I walked back in the house about 9:45 or so, and Melody was about two minutes behind me. Two down. Coby and Bone tried to hold out for as long as possible, but when I got out of the shower at around 10:15, they were looking for something to eat in the kitchen. Coby informed me they had decided enough was enough, the tent was just too big for just him and Bone and they would just bunk on the couches in the living room.

He also said, and I quote, "Dad, it's a little scary out there."

So my wonderful creation, my Father's Day tent, is still standing in my backyard this morning. But there's yet to be anyone spend a night in it.

But the good part is, my oldest kids still feel the most comfortable when Mom or Dad is within shouting distance. Or, to be more specific, in the same camping tent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very fun:) Pretty sure that tent will have to be put up in the living room for Jeannie to sleep in it...and only then if you can slide your bed in to it! Have fun on your trip! I just left Abby and the babies in the sanctuary singing "head and shoulders, knees and toes"...TOO CUTE!! Afterwards they all started clapping because they did such a great job:) Gotta love VBS! Lauren